Statement of Intent

Music Video - For my music video I intend to create a Love Story to fit in with this year's genre of Love. The song I have chosen for my video is “Save Your Tears'' by The Weeknd. My ideal audience are people aged between 16-24, people who like R&B style music and aesthetic and also someone that fits into the “Urban Tribe”.The idea for my music video is that there will be two main characters a girl and a boy, both young and in love but both find it hard to express their feelings for one another which makes things very unclear and difficult for the both of them which leads to mistakes being made and becoming a toxic atmosphere for them. I think this is particularly quite a relevant story for a teen audience especially now involving social media and having the unrealistic expectations of a teen romance. I think also the story fits in with the lyrics of the song but also fits into The Weeknd’s previous music videos. The Weeknd is signed with The Universal Music Group (UMG) and I think this video will fit into the company’s core values which are artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. For the performance there will be the two main characters and over the course of the video there will be crowds of people but not any specific performers. I want the girl/woman in the video in simple darker clothing that will make her stand out in my black and white theme. The boy/man I want to be wearing a hoodie and trousers, again so it stands out with the black and white contrast but also this is what teens wear and its realistic which is why I left the outfit choices to the characters so they can express themselves how they would like. I think this will make the video classic yet retro especially when using the red lighting so it still comes across modern which I think links well with the storyline but also with the Universal Music Group. For mise en scene most of my footage will be made black and white and the rest will be in a red lighting. The idea is that the pop of red will represent love and romance which of course is the concept of the music video but it can also represent anger and toxicity and I think this will appeal to the target audience. Some parts of the video will be landscapes like the beach, sunsets but it will all be in black and white. When filming the beach created a synergy between the ocean and the title of the song “save your tears” as in the ocean was a symbol of tears and it created the perfect atmosphere along with the misty mountains in the background. The boy of the video will be lip syncing throughout some verses and then the girl lip syncs to the chorus. For the cinematography I will be filming mostly on my phone camera as it is easy access. In the chorus of the song I also want to add typography to add to the visual effects. Intertextuality wise I think it fits well with The Weeknd’s previous work which will attract his style of fans. During the editing stage I will do it in sections and bit by bit to make the timings accurate but also make sure that the footage is to the beat of the song. I think keeping the footage to the beat is more satisfying to watch but it always makes the video more attractive and it makes it easier to watch. The message of my music video is to show some of the effects social media has on young teen relationships and how it can make people feel and it is good for the audience of the video to see that. I think this message links with the story of the song as well. This is represented during the chorus when we see the female character on her phone and seeing the reaction of the male character. Website - For my website I am hoping to include many visuals. I want my website to fit in well with the theme of the music video so I will be sticking to my original colour scheme of black, white and red. On the website I will have links to the music video itself. I am also going to create a gallery webpage so I can film the bloopers of the music video and also the behind the scenes. I would also like the website to appeal to my target audience so it sticks with the same style and vibe. I will also create links to the music video on both the homepage and gallery so it is clear how to watch. I'm hoping to connect the website to relevant social media posts about the artist or the music genre or R&B itself, this will also promote the artist and music video and encourage a larger audience. I will have a page focused on the Universal Music Group so that they can see the artists previous work but also discover new artists. Sometimes I think the audience wants to know how the artist has begun their career therefore included in the website there will be a couple of paragraphs explaining the artists career journey and it will be a bit of a background story. Included in the website there will be a tours webpage where viewers can see upcoming touring dates. On the gallery webpage there is location shots also which can give the viewers a sense of the making of the music video. How do you intend to link your media products to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the digitally convergent nature of your media production? - The plan for my website and music video is to promote my artist and the Universal Music Group (record company). I am going to make a logo that I think will suit and represent all my ideas into one. I will make sure to have many pictures of my artist across my website to add to the promotion side of things. This will include bloopers and behind the scenes of the music video so that there is a personal side to the artist. On the website there will be a webpage for the artists world tours and there will be album covers created and then there will be dates.

Comments